Actual Vote is a free app. Everyone is welcome to download it and use it.
Printable practice instructions including a poll tape mock-up you can practice with are here: Actual Vote Mobile App Instructions
1. Launch the Actual Vote Mobile app.
2. To start recording a poll tape, tap the red video camera button.
3. When prompted, sign in using your Google account.
4. Tap Allow to permit the app to use the camera, microphone and location services. The app will not function without these permissions.
5. Enter the precinct from the poll tape and tap OK.
6. To make a recording, focus at the top of the poll tape and tap the round red record button. Record from the top of the poll tape to the bottom, pausing on each contest. Tap the square red button to stop recording.
7. Playback your recording by pressing the Play button, cancel by pressing the X button, and Submit by tapping the Check button.
8. Recordings upload automatically once submitted. Completed uploads are shown with thumbnail and a delete button when completed.
9. After upload, you may safely remove recordings from your phone.
- It’s only good if it is readable. Playback your recording to see how it looks before submitting.
- Get Close!
- Fill the frame with the poll tape, leaving as little space around the poll tape as possible.
- Go Slow, Top to Bottom
- For best results, take your time!
- Make sure to go top and bottom where there is important information.
- Pause Over Each Section
- Pause and say aloud the first name and vote counts for each race.
- Pausing reduces the blurriness caused by motion and improves legibility.
- Stay Parallel
- Keep your camera parallel to the poll tape. This can be quite a challenge if the tape reaches the ground, but do the best you can!
- Duplicate Recordings are Good!
- Go ahead and make your own recording of poll tapes even if you see or suspect someone else may already have done so. Independent recordings help corroborate each other.
- Be Prepared!
- Things to bring: a friend, flashlight, step stool, painter’s tape.
- Record Them All!
- Poll tapes are often posted near the main entrance, but sometimes taped behind windows.
- There may be more than one.
- Look around for any poll tapes that may have fallen or been blown away by wind.
- If you can’t find them, ask around.
By using Actual Vote, you are helping to make our democracy more secure and transparent. Please let your family, friends, and social media contacts know what you are doing. They may want to participate as well!
Have questions, comments, or suggestions? Please email email@example.com.